Unclaimed funds are funds held by the court for an owner or recipient who is entitled to money, but who has not claimed ownership. Most unclaimed funds arise when dividends (assets) are distributed by the trustee to creditors pursuant to settlement of a bankruptcy case, but the property goes unclaimed.
- To search for unclaimed funds, use the: U.S. Bankruptcy Unclaimed Funds Locator
The instructions and required forms for individuals, joint parties or entities are listed below. Please contact the court's financial administrator with questions at (515) 323-2846.
Signed documents need to be filed with the court either in person, by mail, express mail services or courier service at U.S. Bankruptcy Court, 300 U.S. Courthouse Annex, 110 East Court Avenue, Des Moines, IA 50309.
A copy of the application and supporting documents must be served as instructed on page 2 of the Application for Payment of Unclaimed Funds.
- Instructions for Filing Application for Payment of Unclaimed Funds
- Application for Payment of Unclaimed Funds
- Limited Power of Attorney if you have granted another party the legal right to collect the funds on your behalf.
- Form 213P- Request for Payee Information and Tax Identification Number Certification - Use if you are an individual.
- Form 213- Request for Vendor Information and Tax Identification Number Certification - Use if you are a funds locator, corporation, governmental entity.